December 07, 2015
CTO’s Top 10 - December 2015
The overwhelming amount of news sources, social media streams, blogs and whitepapers can be a true information avalanche. I read, share and where possible use the information in my business and private life has become 2nd nature for me. Every month I will share my Top10 overview of articles worth reading. Hopefully it is useful and fun to read.
This is my list:
- Modern Datacenter: Receive insights from more than 1200 peers in the field and their view on the Datacenter, Software Defined Storage and Hyperconverged infrastructure by watching the SDS and HCI insights from the field webinar recording. Another great webinar recording is Data Center Trends Leading to Hyperconvergence.
A couple of weeks ago I participated in a huge webcast. Compare and evaluate the seven hyperconverged vendors back-to-back starting with Atlantis, the Hyperconverged MegaCast is available to watch online. With these three links you’ll be up to speed with the latest Software Defined and Hyperconverged Infrastructure developments, if you have questions or feedback please let me know, happy to help. Do you want to be notified when the book ‘Building a Modern Data Center - Principles and Strategies of Design’ is available? Be the first to get notified.
- Solid State: SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity which is great news for Modern Workspace, Modern Datacenter and storage related solutions. With the solid state storage developments such as 3DXpoint the future for Software Defined Storage and Hyperconverged Infrastructure is bright. The Rise and Fall of the Monolithic Storage Array and the move from flash to disk is also a great blog post to read.
"You're the Tony Stark of the Datacenter" -An awesome customer quote about the combination of Atlantis USX, All Flash solution and ruggedized military grade solution, stay tuned for more news in the future.
- Leadership: 5 Reasons CIOs Have Become Irrelevant, CIO is a dead-end job title and CIOs have failed their prime directive are a couple of the topics. This is a stirring article and an interesting mirror for today’s CIOs, and other professionals. Another stirring blog post is ‘Reconsider’. This article let you examine and question your motivations, reject the money if you dare, and gives insights in the unicorns of IT.
- Modern Workspace: Turbo Charge Your Virtual Workspace with Atlantis, Entisys & Unidesk for Ultimate Experience. Ron Oglesby, Dane Young and I worked together. We shared six key developments, layering with Unidesk and Atlantis role in the Modern workspace. The performance of Windows10 in VDI is a great webinar. Think VDI and Windows10, this session is a must watch and the corresponding whitepaper on ProjectVRC.team website is a most read. The blogpost from Mikael Modin gives great insights about Citrix Framehawk – Why, When and How. Are you using Citrix XenDesktop or XenApp in remote scenario’s? Checkout the possibilities of FrameHawk in these scenario’s.
- Modern Datacenter, Achieving the pinnacle of disaster recovery is a great blog post by colleague PD where he shares his insights in the Atlantis 3-site DR solution leveraging USX stretch-cluster and replication support.
- Trends: Gartner Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2016, always nice lists like this. What are your Technology trends for 2016? According to Technopedia I am one of the CTO Top Twitter Influencers to follow. When I look at the list of fellow CTO’s, peers and friends I only can say, wow - thanks. One of my favorite quote’s is: ‘if you do what you love you never have to work a day in your live’. I enjoy to add value and contribute to the industry, community, customers and Atlantis organization. I hope you like my contribution, feedback where I can improve? Let me know. Vision is a picture of the future that produces passion, what is your passion?
- Windows Server 2016: Licensing changes in upcoming Windows Server2016: per-core not per-CPU, widening functionality gap such as SDS between Standard and Datacenter. More insights can be found here as well.
- Business travel: I travel quite often, around 1/3 of my time. I love to spend time with customers, partners, industry peers and colleagues in the field. Reading this article ‘How to Avoid Frustrating Business Travel Mishaps’ is a handy read for me and others who travel once in a while. The other 2/3 of my time I work from home. Reading the article The psychology of remote-working: Tips from the trenches gives helpful solutions for sometimes daily challenges. For instance, ‘keep on moving’ and the usage of an adjustable deck keeps me sharp and energetic. What I need to learn more is to block time for certain activities such as email and social media instead of continue connected to the interWeb. Read the cost of continuously checking email, I am learning here. Finally, 17 Things You Should Never (Ever) Do on a Business Trip; Check out #5; what is your view on the stereo ‘Dutch guy’ type? I am happy to provide direct feedback <smile>.
- Fun: Watch two daredevils with a jetpack while they meet the Airbus A380. Awesome gear and a great experience, lucky me Christmas is on the horizon. I am not sure if it fits in Santa’s budget though. An ‘apple style’ commercial from the Timmy brothers – Water makers. Too simple, too much … fun, dumb.
- Christmas: although the CTO top10 is focused on November articles, blogs, webcasts, whitepapers and videos this great Christmas Advert for 2015 is nice to share.
Blessed Christmas, seasons greeting and happy holidays!
: Typical Dutch: Are they the world’s most relaxed moms? What we can all learn from the Dutch
"It’s amazing what doors can open if you reach out to people with a smile, friendly attitude and a desire to make a positive impact
" >> Enjoy December!
When you have questions, feedback, suggestions for great information I definitely must read or potentially share please let me know. I have created a great overview of storage and Atlantis related articles, blogs, whitepapers and videos. If you want to get up2speed fast and want to receive this email please send me an email ruben@AtlantisComputing.com
and thanks for following me on twitter @rspruijt
Current rating: 5 (3 ratings)